Re-invigorating the Anishinaabe Perspective on Natural Resources

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mikayla Schaaf 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

What would an Anishinaabe Natural Resource perspective consist of?

Gakina gegoo gaa-miinigoowizid a’aw Anishinaabe.
    Everything that was given to the Anishinaabe.

Rather than viewing Natural Resources as “materials or substances such as minerals, forests, water, and fertile land that occur in nature and can be used for economic gain.” as is the definition, I am preparing to re-invigor the Anishinaabe perspective that they are “Gifts given by the Manidoog to sustain life for the Anishinaabe.”

Where when debating the Natural Resource co-managing of resources, Indian Tribes are often sucked into the American perspective where its about the financial economy. In regard to Anishinaabe, the most common area affected by Resource Co-management is within the cultural/spiritual economy.

Which can also explain the loss of culture and spirituality among the Anishinaabe people.

Mikayla Schaaf
    Participant

I agree. Traditionally theses natural resources were used for sustainability, such and shelter, food, medicine and lifeways in general. I think it goes hand in hand with the language and our teachings that are also being lost. Our language describes life, movement, smell, taste, and living among the earths elements not trying to conquer and divide which is happening now. Our language teaches us the values of life and how to respect not only Mother Earth but eachother.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.